Jekyll vs. Hyde

    The excerpts that I chose to analyze are the one from chapter two for Hyde and the one from chapter three for Jekyll. One contrast that is obvious in these two excerpts is the way that both characters talk to Utterson. Jekyll talks to him as kind as old friends should and shows that he cares deeply for him. He is very fond of Utterson and cherishes him very much. Hyde on the other hand is very short with him; he is very cold towards him. He doesn't really care much for Utterson and is pretty suspicious of him at first before becoming angry with him once he lies to Hyde about how he found out about him. One common thing between the two excerpts is the fact that both characters seem to want to keep details about Hyde to a minimum. In the first excerpt, Hyde immediately asks Utterson how did he know him when Utterson approached him at the door. This implies that not many people know about him. In the second excerpt, when Utterson mentions Hyde to Jekyll, he immediately clamps up and tries to shut the conversation down.
     This poem is a brief summary of chapters 2 and 3 from Jekyll and Hyde's perspectives. The purpose is to show their reactions/responses to Utterson and the effect is to demonstrate how these chapters characterize these two men.

Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde
My friend is here            His friend is here
Who does he think he is?
I am nervous
He wants to know more about you
Why is he interested in me?
But he doesn’t understand                         I don’t understand      
I am in a strange position
I laugh
How do I tell him that I am half of a whole?                                

He doesn’t know that we're one in the same...for now  

Comments

  1. I really love the poem , I thing this really shows the audience that even though these people have different personality. They are still the same person no matter how you look at it. I also found it quite cool how you old us what they have in common verse what most people which is tell us the difference between them forgetting the similarities. I like this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts